DATE: 5th Dec 2018, Wednesday
Prepared by: Maharana Sibasankar
Sources: THE HINDU and Indian Express
- Weak El Nino conditions is going to develop in the Pacific this winter
According to an India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecast, there is a strong possibility of weak El Nino conditions developing during the current winter season.
- IMD Observations:
- Equatorial sea surface temperatures across most the Pacific Ocean show an increasing trend. There is a mild El Nino -above 0.5-degree warming – in the western Pacific Ocean
- The IMD forecasts that the ongoing winter season would be slightly warmer than usual in most parts of India
- Concerns over warm winter
Higher warmer weather conditions during winter months is a concern as it may adversely affect wheat crop which is the principal crop of the Rabi season
- What is El Nino?
- The term El Niño refers to the large-scale ocean-atmosphere climate interaction associated with a periodic warming in sea surface temperatures across the central and east-central Equatorial Pacific.
- El Nino during winter results in the development of warm conditions in India. During the summer season, it leads to dry conditions and deficient monsoon
Read Full Article Click Here